11th International Conference on Semantic Web Applications and Tools for Health Care and Life Sciences,
3-6th December 2018, Antwerp, Belgium
For over a decade SWAT4HCLS international conference has provided an open and vibrant scientific environment bringing together researchers, developers, and users, from many fields to discuss new target, current limitations and real experiences in the use of semantic and web technologies in health care and the life sciences. The 2018 event will follow a similar format as in previous years and welcomes exciting new topics into the program in a series of thematic sessions.
|Abstract and paper submission opens:||May 1|
|EOI for tutorials:||June 1|
|Full paper submission (deadline extended):|
|Poster and demo submissions:||October 15|
|Notification of acceptance (papers):||October 22*|
|Notification of acceptance (posters):||1 week after submission|
* special “fast track” reviews can be arranged on request
|Monday, December 3:||Tutorials|
|Tuesday, December 4:||Main Conference, Evening: Conference dinner|
|Wednesday, December 5:||Main Conference|
|Thursday, December 6:||Hackathon|
- Philip E. Bourne, University of Virginia, United States of America
- Dean Allemang, Working Ontologist, LLC, United States of America
- Medha Devare, Senior Research Fellow with the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Tutorials, conference and hackathon will be held in Antwerp, Belgium. The venue will be at Elzenveld, a historic building that previously has served as hospital and monastery. Read more
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to Semantic Web technologies designed for, and applied, in Healthcare and the Life Sciences.
- Knowledge representation in life sciences, medicine and healthcare and agriculture.
- Semantic approaches to data repurposing in healthcare and patient generated data
- Biomedical ontologies, rules and medical standards for information exchange and interoperability.
- Clinical Intelligence from Electronic Health Records (EHRs), patient data and clinical trial data
- Use of semantics to enable translational medicine, personalized medicine and precision agriculture.
- Application and impact of data standards applied in clinical practice, public health and agribusiness
- Semantic scientific publishing in the life sciences, medicine and healthcare, public health
- Open Data Integration and Interoperability.
- NLP and text mining using semantic technologies.
- Methods and standards to improve discoverability and reusability of data repositories
- Deep learning and semantic technologies.
- Semantic Querying, Data validation languages, Knowledge Graphs, Rule-based systems.
- Semantic workflow technologies and semantic web services applied in life sciences.
- Infrastructures supporting provenance, traceability, trust and reproducibility.
- Empirical studies and evaluation of Semantic Web tools and applications in the life science domains.
- Ethical issues, privacy and data governance in healthcare, agri, and medical data in Semantic Web.
- Future directions for Semantic Web technologies in the life sciences and interdisciplinary fields. including water science, agro science, and veterinary science, drug repositioning.
- Studies focussing on the adoption of Semantic Technologies by knowledge workers in life sciences.
- Harnessing linked data for Research Assessment/Monitoring and Evaluation
- Novel approaches to utilizing existing biomedical data without sharing it, e.g. bring the analysis to the data
In addition, we invite submissions for inclusion in thematic sessions on Open Data, Agri-Semantis, Public Health Surveillance and Secondary Use of Healthcare Data.
Types of submission
The following types of submissions for SWAT4HCLS 2018 are invited:
- Research papers – Original research on a topic of interest to the SWAT4HCLS audience.
- In-use papers – New applications and tool descriptions addressing a topic of interest to the SWAT4HCLS audience.
- Position papers, application notes, discovery notes,. using Semantic Web applications and tools.
- Software demos – Present software and tools in action.
- Industry Application Abstract: Abstract only required, describing industrial applications or research. (Semantic Publishers, Pharma, Healthcare, Agribusiness)
- Data Challenge Showcase Abstract: Are you planning a Data Challenge and want to reach out to expert participants. Submit an abstract with details of your target goals, timeline and prizes.
- Open Innovation Abstract: Are you an life science company that with more data than you can analyse and want experts to help find new insights. Submit an abstract with details of your target goals, license agreements, timeline, publication policy
- Business Model Abstract: Business models that leverage semantically rich data (e.g. publishing companies, for-profit data providers)
- Showcase of relevant work.
- Authors of accepted paper contributions to SWAT4HCLS 2018 will be invited to submit to a journal special issue.
- All submissions will be handled via the EasyChair submission system at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=swat4hcls2018 .
- All papers and posters must be in English and submitted in pdf using the LNCS format http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html .
- Tutorials submissions should be via email (info at swat4ls.org), providing an abstract of the intended tutorial
- Submissions for long papers must be a maximum of ten pages.
- Submissions for short papers must be a maximum of five pages.
- Submissions for posters abstract must be a maximum of two pages.
- Submissions of industry abstracts must be a maximum of two pages.
- Papers will be peer-reviewed by at least three members of the Scientific Program Committee.